Homemade Yogurt in the Crock Pot
1/2 gallon (8 cups) milk
1 Tbsp yogurt (must have listed in the ingredients active live cultures-I used Fage Total 2%)
- Pour the half gallon of milk into your crock pot and turn it on low. Cook for 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- After it cooks, turn crock pot off and let cool for 3 hours or until the temperature drops between 110 and 120 degrees.
- Spoon a small amount of milk into a small bowl and add 1 Tbsp of yogurt to it. Mix together.
- Pour mixture back into milk in the crock pot and stir once or twice.
- Put the lid back on your crock pot and wrap the crock pot with a large beach towel or blanket (make sure the crock pot is unplugged and turned off--this helps keep the heat in the crock pot and allows it to cool more slowly).
- Let sit for 8-12 hours.
- Spoon into jars or plastic containers and refrigerate a few hours before eating.
This will keep for 1-2 weeks in your fridge. Be sure to save 1 Tbsp to use as your starter for your next batch of homemade yogurt.
Yields: 2 quarts
Serve with honey and fruit! (This is plain yogurt.)