Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Beef Pot Pie


I grew up with my mom making chicken pot pie. I always loved it! But, she never made a beef one. I had leftover roast I couldn't shred (not pictured), and wanted it to go to good use. I modified my mom's recipe and used some parts of an allrecipes recipe (Beef Pot Pie III). 

INGREDIENTS:

leftover roast, cubed
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
3 large carrots, diced
3 potatoes, cubed
1/2 onion diced
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1/2 cup stick margarine
1/2 cup flour
1 cup milk

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, pour in beef broth and add carrots, onion, and potatoes. Cook until almost tender; about 15 to 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

optional: Make pie crust. I like Kristi's recipe and have it written below.

2. When the carrots and potatoes are done, transfer to the large mixing bowl with the beef; leaving the broth in the pan. Combine the peas with the carrots, potatoes and beef.

3. In a separate pan, melt butter and add flour to create a roux. Slowly add milk and broth stirring constantly. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat; cook for 5 minutes.

4.    Grease a 9x13 inch pan. Place the beef mixture into the pie crust. Pour the gravy over the top of the mixture, then cover with the pie crust. Bake in a preheated oven until the crust is golden brown; about 25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.

Kristi's Pie Crust
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup butter flavored shortening
7 TBSP ice water

Sift flour and salt. Cut in shortening with a fork until the size of small peas. Sprinkle a tablespoon of water at a time. Toss and fluff with a fork. Use hands and squish into a ball. Roll out on a floured surface until 1/8" thick. Lay over beef mixture and trim edges. 

(With leftover dough--roll out and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar for dessert cookies.)


If you prefer, you could do a biscuit crust. 
1 cup biscuit mix
1/2 cup milk
1 egg

Combine and pour over beef mixture. Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. 

2 comments:

MeganRuth said...

yum... I'm excited to try this. Am I the only one that hates making pie crusts? For some reason the cutting in the butter or shortening drives me crazy. Any hints to get around this?

Denise said...

I will be putting this on my weekly menu. We have a lot of beef in my freezer so I love that its beef pot pie and not chicken.