Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Best Cornbread Ever

I love this recipe.  My husband loves this recipe even more.  The other day I made chili and I was going to try something new and alter the recipe a bit.  However, my husband was insistent that I not change something that is already perfect.  Seriously, my husband insists that this Cornbread recipe is absolutely perfect.  You have to make this!

With that in mind, I have not changed the recipe, but I have added some of my own thoughts.  The original recipe, with some Honey Butter if you so desire is found at Mel's Kitchen Cafe.

Cornbread
Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Ingredients:
  • ½ cup cornmeal
  • 1 ½ cup flour
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 ¼ cup milk
Directions: 

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Add dry ingredients and stir to mix them.  Then, make a well and add oil, butter, eggs, and milk into the center. Stir until just mixed (batter will be runny). Bake in an 8” square pan for 30-35 minutes.  The cornbread is amazing warm and the first day.  The amazingness goes down with each day, so try and eat as much as you can the first day.   

This doubles for a 9X13-inch pan, though you need to watch the time.  It's longer than 35 minutes, and in my oven the edges were done but the middle wasn't.  I'll probably lower the temperature and try again in the future.  

Anyway, this cornbread is amazing!  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Stina said...

Oh man! Oh man! Thanks for posting this! I am so excited to try it! Kristi says you can grind popcorn kernels to make your own cornmeal and that it makes the cornbread so moist. My family is going to love me!

MeganRuth said...

Grind popcorn kernels huh? I'll have to give that a shot.

Denise said...

Yum, I have not ever made cornbread. This looks like a good recipe to start with!

Denise said...

Yum, I have not ever made cornbread. This looks like a good recipe to start with!